This page provides links to information useful to Washington water-sewer districts. The pages contain sample documents, reference sources, and links to local, state, and federal websites.
Water-Sewer District Document Resources
Budgets and Financial Information
RCW 39.34.040 was amended by Ch. 32 Laws of 2006 (HB 2676) to provide an alternative to filing an interlocal agreement with the county auditor, a public agency may list the agreement on its website or other electronically retrievable public source. Here is a list of water-sewer districts known to MRSC that are posting interlocal agreements.
Policies and Procedures
This is a list of selected pages that may be of interest to water-sewer districts, but it is not inclusive. Use the MRSC site search to find additional topics. Ask MRSC if you need assistance.
- Biosolids - Provides links to Department of Ecology and to some of the local government wastewater biosolid programs
- Underground Utility Damage Prevention Act: 811 - "Call Before You Dig" - Provides links to statutes and local government programs
- Emergency Management for Water and Wastewater Systems - Provides emergency management references for water and wastewater systems. Topics covered includes security, emergency planning, and emergency measures for drought conditions.
- Latecomers Agreements - Discusses what they are and are not, includes Q&A on agreements, and provides sample code provisions
- Local Improvement Districts - Web version of Washington State Local Improvement District Manual, Sixth Edition with sample documents
- Open Public Meetings Act - Provides legal references, court cases, and publications including MRSC related publications
- Public Records Act - Provides statutes, model rules, reference sources, sample documents. Related pages include: Public Records Act Court Decisions, Internet, Email and Computer Usage Policies and Social Media
- Purchasing and Bidding for Washington State Local Governments - Provides information on purchasing (goods, equipment, materials, supplies, and services) and contracting (public works) for local government agencies in Washington State.
- Reference pages - Provide links to bibliographic resources
- Special Purpose Districts in Washington - Table of contents to MRSC special district pages. The pages provide an overview, authority, lists of districts including those which include cities and towns, and general information on how to form districts.
- Regional Wastewater Services - On MRSC Intergovernmental Cooperation in Public Works
- Regional Water Providers and Associations - On MRSC Water Utilities page
- Sewer Utilities - Sample sewer rates, planning, sample regulatory provisions, links to information resources
- Storm and Surface Water Management - Provides links to regulations, best management practices, and local regulations
- Utility Billing and Collection Issues - Billing procedures, deposits, combined utility accounts, budget payments, overpayment and underpayment of utility bills, billing adjustments due to leaks and meter failures, collection practices for delinquent utility accounts, utility liens, penalties and interest, service termination and reconnection, landlord/tenant issues, identity theft "red flags" rule, senior and low-income utility rate discounts
- Washington Water and Sewer Districts Listed by County - A list of all water and sewer districts, brief description where available, and some document links
- Wastewater Providers in Addition to Cities and Towns - Includes counties, PUDs and reclamation districts
- Water Conservation - Provides links to state water conservation information, and examples of local government policies, regulations, and examples of various water conservation measures
- Water Resources and Water Quality - Provides links to programs on water resources, water quality, clean water and information resources
- Water Rights - Provides local government decision-makers with information about water rights in Washington state
- Water Utilities - Provides overview of statutes relating to provision of domestic water, utility administration, finance, water rates, and water system planning
Below are several MRSC publications that may be of interest to water-sewer districts; see MRSC Publications for a complete list of available reports.
- The Appearance of Fairness Doctrine in Washington State provides an overview of the appearance of fairness statute, Ch. 42.36 RCW, including suggestions for assuring compliance with the law.
- Getting into Office: Being Elected or Appointed into Office in Washington Counties, Cities, Towns, and Special Districts discusses the qualifications and processes required to seek local government offices.
- Knowing the Territory - Basic Legal Guidelines for Washington City, County and Special District Officials describes the nature, powers and duties of municipal officials for "keeping out of trouble," discusses limitations, regulations, and admonitions regarding the exercise of governmental powers, including conflicts of interest law, the Open Public Meetings Act, Appearance of Fairness Doctrine and similar laws. It also points out immunities and protections.
- Local Ordinances for Washington Cities and Counties assists county, city, and town officials in the drafting and adoption of ordinances, resolutions, motions, and related devices. Note: water-sewer districts adopt rules governing the transaction of its business by resolution, but the contents of this publication may still be useful.
- The Open Public Meetings Act - How it Applies to Washington Cities, Counties, and Special Purpose Districts covers who is subject to OPMA, procedural requirements, executive sessions, exemptions, and penalties.
- Public Records Act for Washington Cities, Counties, and Special Purpose Districts discusses the requirements of PRA, answering many of the public records questions MRSC has received over the years.
- Small Works Roster: A Guide for Washington's Local Governments explains Washington laws related to the use of a small public works roster for awarding public works contracts.