This page contains an list of sources and organizations that identify, collect, and share best practices in local government through databases, collections, and awards programs.
Best Practice Databases and Collections
- The Washington State Auditor's Local Government Performance Center - Leading practices, tools, case studies, and other resources to assist local governments with evaluating services and operations, managing and improving performance, and communicating with citizens.
- National League of Cities City Solutions and Applied Research - Strives to strengthen communities, transform and improve cities, and assist city leaders, by knowing and learning about cities; identifying and sharing promising city practices; fostering effective solutions and innovation; and challenging cities and city leaders to lead.
- Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation: Government Innovator's Network - A marketplace of ideas and examples of government innovation. Browse or search to access news, documents, descriptions of award-winning programs, and information on events in your area related to innovation.
- Government Finance Officers Association Best Practices and Advisories - Pracitces approved by the GFOA Executive Board after careful development by various standing committees. Each practice and advisory was developed drawing on the collective wisdom of more than 50 persons with extensive and diverse experience in public finance. The best practices are intended to identify enhanced techniques and provide information about effective strategies for state and local government practitioners.
- U.S. Conference of Mayor's Best Practices of City Governments - Searchable database of best practices.
- National Association of Counties Model County Program Database - Highlight's a number of model programs identified through their annual achievement awards program that represent innovative and creative solutions to the problems local governments face.
- The National Governor's Association Center for Best Practices - Develops innovative solutions to today's most pressing public policy challenges.