Our Deepest Appreciation: MRSC Fully Funded, Thanks to Your Support
April 7, 2016
Category: MRSC News and Updates
Budget season can always be a bit of a rollercoaster, and this year MRSC unfortunately got to experience that firsthand. But we are pleased to announce that in the end, after considering a proposal to zero-out MRSC’s funding, the state legislature recognized MRSC’s value and enacted a final budget that maintains MRSC’s funding at the same level as it has been in recent years.
Much of the credit for this end result goes to those of you who voiced support for us to the legislature. Throughout this process, we have been truly humbled by the wide range of communities that expressed how invaluable MRSC is as a local government resource. Several themes arose from the many messages of support we received, including that the expertise and services that MRSC provides:
- Are vital to local governments throughout the state, and, by extension, to the citizens they serve, especially those communities with the most limited resources;
- Are trusted, objective, non-partisan, relied upon, and wide-ranging;
- Help local government officials and staff at all levels of experience to better understand their roles and responsibilities under the law;
- Result in a return on the state’s investment in this critical service which greatly exceeds the investment to keep MRSC operating;
- Are an excellent example of a pooled resource that saves costs statewide and provides an essential tool for good government.
For more than 80 years, MRSC has facilitated thoughtful legal analysis and policy-making in local governments across Washington State. Whether it be the Growth Management Act in the 1990s, legalization of recreational marijuana, or the ever-evolving complexities of the Public Records Act, MRSC has consistently been a go-to source of information for local governments, clarifying the issues and helping leaders make informed decisions for their community. These are times of rapid and dramatic change both locally and nationally, and such times demand trusted advisors who can help local governments cut through the fog and focus on practical ideas and practices that lead to lasting solutions. Since its inception, MRSC has been that trusted, one-of-a-kind resource for local governments and others throughout the state, and we plan to continue in that role far into the future.
We profoundly appreciate your support for MRSC’s people and services. You have reinforced our unwavering commitment to local government success in Washington State. The support we have received has inspired and motivated us even more to continue to provide high quality services for which our state and its citizens can be proud.
MRSC is a private nonprofit organization serving local governments in Washington State. Eligible government agencies in Washington State may use our free, one-on-one Ask MRSC service to get answers to legal, policy, or financial questions.