Digging Into Public Works Fundamentals: Sequim
Thursday, December 14, 2023
8 AM - 3:30 PM
Location: 7 Cedars Hotel and Casino (270756 US-101, Sequim, WA 98382)
Credits: 4 Contact Hours or 4 APWA-CAEC
Registration is now full for this training. You can learn about other sessions and find additional public works resources by visiting our Digging Into Public Works page.
MRSC is partnering with Labor & Industries (L&I) and the Department of Revenue (DOR) to offer free, in-person regional training sessions across the state focused on the fundamental elements of public works contracting. These trainings will help provide local government public works staff with a better understanding of the common elements of public works contracting, the process to manage L&I prevailing wage requirements, tax considerations, and upcoming legislative changes to public works requirements.
Join us for this session in Sequim by registering above, or you can learn about other sessions and find additional public works resources by visiting our Digging Into Public Works page. If you’re already comfortable with the fundamentals and only have interest in the upcoming legislative changes, you are welcome to sign up and join in the afternoon.
For this training, we will cover the following topics:
- Public works contracting elements (MRSC): Fundamentals of public works contracting, including legal requirements, defining project elements, public works contracting methods, and exemptions to competition.
- Awarding agency training (L&I): Agency requirements to comply with prevailing wages for public works contracts.
- Tax considerations for public works projects (DOR): How to scope projects to determine and track tax requirements.
- Legislative changes impacting public works contracting (MRSC/L&I): Overview of changes to public works contracting, which include changes effective July 1, 2024 for small works roster and apprenticeship requirements.
Lunch will be provided in the afternoon.
|7:45 AM - 8:00 AM||Registration and Check-In|
|8:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Digging into Public Works Fundamentals (MRSC/L&I/DOR)|
|12:00 PM - 1:00 PM||Lunch and Networking|
|1:00 PM - 2:30 PM||Legislative Changes Impacting Public Works Contracts (MRSC/L&I)|
|2:30 PM - 3:30 PM||Optional Ask MRSC Hour (MRSC/L&I/DOR)|
Who Should Attend?
This training is intended for local government public works, procurement, and purchasing staff.
- Josh Klika, Procurement & Contracting Consultant, MRSC. Josh joined MRSC in October 2021 as a Procurement and Contracting Consultant. Josh has a broad public procurement background with over 20 years in state and local governments. In addition to holding several professional certifications, Josh has served as a recurring panelist, facilitator, and presenter on numerous topics relating to procurement for various professional organizations.
- Chuck Ziegert, Industrial Relations Specialist, Washington State Department of Labor & Industries. Chuck Ziegert is a technical specialist on the state’s prevailing wage law at the Department of Labor and Industries. After a successful military career, Chuck joined L&I in 2008 and the prevailing wage program in 2012. He understands the perspectives of public contract awarding agencies, contractors, workers, and labor unions. Chuck is happy to be a resource for your prevailing wage questions.
- Kim Deyo, Manager of Public Work Contracts Team, Department of Revenue. Kim has been with DOR for 30+ years and with the PWC team for 24 years. Kim enjoys working with people to help them understand what is needed and why. Building relationships with the various “groups” involved with a project helps make the taxation and closeout process go much smoother and hopefully quicker.