Intergovernmental cooperation is an effective way for local governments to respond to recreational needs. Cooperative efforts can eliminate unnecessary duplication of services, reduce overall park and recreation costs, and can more effectively meet the educational, recreational, and leisure time needs of a region.
This page provides sample interlocal agreements for services and facilities related to parks and recreation. The contract samples are provided principally for their format and subject coverage, a few may have been superseded by a more recent interlocal agreement. See also MRSC's general information page on Intergovernmental Cooperation.
General Statements of Cooperation
- Interlocal cooperation agreement between Cheney, Medical Lake and Airway Heights for the purpose of collaborating to provide the West Plains with combined recreational opportunities, 02/14/2012-12/31/2012, with one year extensions
- Interlocal contract between Lynden and Lynden Regional Parks and Recreation District, 08/2000 - Lynden is within the boundaries of the Lynden Regional Parks and Recreation District.
- Agreement for the joint use of facilities between Seattle School District No. 1 and Seattle Parks and Recreation, 2010-2015 - See preamble and vision statement
- Tacoma and Metropolitan Parks District Agreement to maintain and operate certain parks and facilities owned by the city, 11/2008
- Vancouver and Clark County Interlocal Parks Agreement, 03/2008. On Jan. 1, 1997, the Vancouver and Clark County consolidated parks departments to form the Vancouver-Clark County Parks and Recreation Department. The new unified agency is managed by the city. See Vancouver Parks and Recreation.
- MyParksandRecreation.com - A collaborative effort of the cities of Bellevue, Bothell, Issaquah, Kenmore, Kirkland, Mercer Island, Sammamish, Snoqualmie, and Woodinville to provide a central gateway to activity registration, facility reservations, and related services.
Joint Acquisition and/or Development of Facilities
- Ballfields - Interlocal Agreement between Bellevue and King County for joint development use of ballfields at Marymoor Park 2010-2012; Bellevue Resolution No. 8549 executes Amendment No. 3 for a 5 year period; and 4th Amendment is for 03/18/2013 to 06/29/2017.
- Playfield - Development and operation agreement between Edmonds, Lynnwood, Snohomish County and Edmonds School District No. 15 for Meadowdale Playfield (Agreement 1985-2024).
- Swimming Pools - See also Metropolitan Park District List for other acquisition and joint operation information
- Northshore Aquatics Study, Woodinville - Provides background to Northshore Pool
- Area Aquatic Study, Northshore Park and Recreation Service Area (Kenmore, Bothell, Woodinville, Northshore School District), 06/2008
- Aquatic Facilities - Interlocal Agreement between Edmonds School District and Lynnwood regarding Aquatic Facilities, 06/2011
- Swimming Pool - Agreement between the city of Bellevue and Bellevue School District No. 405 for the development of the warm water pool at the Odle pool site and lease of the Odle pool, 30 year agreement with additional renewals, 1996
Joint Use of Facilities
- Interlocal Agreement between Bellevue School District and Bellevue for Field Scheduling and Join Use of District Athletic Fields During Non-School Times, 10/23/2009 - 08/31/2013, provides for one five year renewal
- Joint Use Agreement between Highline School District No. 401 and the cities of Burien, Des Moines, Normandy Park and SeaTac, 2014
- lnterlocal Agreement for Use of Facilities between Lake Washington School District and the City of Kirkland, 08/13/2009 – 08/12/2014, provides for 5 year renewal – Agreement covers City's and District's development, maintenance, scheduling, and use of both parties' athletic fields and facilities, located within the City of Kirkland and the proposed annexation area (PAA)
- Agreement between Prosser and Prosser School District 116 School for use of city's competition swimming pool and old bathhouse for 2011-2012 school year.
- Interlocal Agreement between Fife and Puyallup for Reciprocal Use of Recreational Facilities 01/01/2003 until terminated
- Interlocal Agreement between Renton and Renton School District No. 405for use of the District's Renton IKEA Performing Arts Center free of charge, whenever deemed practicable by the District, for the City to conduct cultural arts programs, public assemblies, and special events.
- Agreement for the Joint Use of Facilities between the Seattle School District No. 1 and Seattle Parks and Recreation, 2008
- Interlocal Agreement between Shoreline and Lake Forest Park for Recreation Program and Facility Access, 2013
- Shared Facility Agreement between Sedro-Woolley and Sedro-Woolley School District No. 101, 2008
- Airway Heights, Cheney, and Medical Lake Intergovernmental Cooperation Agreement for purpose of collaborating to provide the West Plains with combined recreational opportunities, 02/14/2012-12/31/2012, with one year extensions - sets up joint board
- Bellevue and Bellevue School District Resolution 5840 adopting a joint resolution with the Bellevue School District to create a partnership to meet the needs of the community by focusing on schools as community resource centers, passed 12/1994
- Bonney Lake, Sumner School District, and Sumner Interlocal agreement relating to the creation and operation of a joint recreation Program, 01/01/2013-12/31/2014, renewable for two year terms - Creates joint advisory board, provides for administration, funding, and responsibilities of each party
- Peninsula School District, Gig Harbor, and Pierce County Agreement to form a joint board for intergovernmental cooperation to provide resources to provide efficient, cost-effective recreation service, 06/2003
- Pierce County Companionship Program - The program is designed to provide recreation and leisure opportunities for individuals with special needs and their friends and families. It is a cooperative effort with the Bethel, Clover Park, Eatonville, Peninsula, Puyallup, and Sumner school districts and other local parks and recreation departments.
- Spokane Valley, Spokane, and Spokane Parks and Recreation Interlocal Agreement to jointly offer certain recreational program classes, May 21, 2010 - December 31, 2012
- Thurston County, Lacey, Olympia, and Tumwater Specialized Recreation for persons with developmental and or physical disabilities