Utility Billing - Table of Contents
This page provides links to all of MRSC’s resources related to local government utility billing and collection in Washington State.
This information was created in partnership with the State Auditor's Office Center for Government Innovation.
- Utility Billing Procedures – General guidance on utility billing procedures, including deposits, combined utility accounts, billing and water leak adjustments, and more.
- Utility Discounts and Financial Assistance Programs – Information on utility discounts for low-income customers or people with disabilities, as well as voluntary contributions and conservation discounts.
- Utility Charges and Property Transfers – Overview of utility charges during property sales and transfers, including who is responsible for charges, final billings, and more.
- Internal Controls for Utility Finances – Recommended elements of internal control systems for utility billing.
- Collection Practices for Delinquent Utility Accounts – Overview of various collection practices available to utilities for delinquent utility accounts, including collection agencies, courts, payment plans, liens, and shutoffs.
- Utility Service During Bankruptcy – Information on a municipal utility’s legal rights in relation to customers in bankruptcy.
- Utility Liens and Shutoffs Tool – Interactive, step-by-step guide to help determine whether and under what circumstances a utility has a lien or is authorized to shut off service to enforce payment in specific situations
Recent Blog Posts
- Recent blog posts about utility billing and collection – Articles written by MRSC staff and contributors about specific aspects of utility billing and collection. Articles are listed in reverse chronological order, with the most recent first.
MRSC periodically conducts webinars related to utility billing, collection, and financial management. For current offerings, see: